Sierra Nevada Teen Ranch is utilizing the Washoe County School District’s Edgenuity distance learning Program –a fully accredited online education program. Students are able to access their curriculum 24/7, but also have scheduled class time for a class where teachers are available to assist them. Moreover, SNTR will have tutors present in our classrooms for immediate assistance. Edgenuity will provide weekly progress reports to assist students and tutors in understanding how successful, or not, the student is doing.
Students will be exposed to vocational experiences as ways and means of finding out their areas of interest. Exposure will be provided through on-site programs and field trips to actual job sites. Vocations may include:
- Auto Mechanics
- Computer basics
- Animal Husbandry will incorporate the full aspect of caring for ranch animals including grooming, feeding, exercising, and training
- Gardening: The youth will grow their own vegetables, flowers, and fruit.
Residents will be provided a wide range of recreational activities for both free time as well as structured physical and mental development. SNTR will offer a wide range of activities for students as a vital component of our treatment environment.
In the near future we will be providing the following opportunities: Indoor & outdoor experiences including, but not limited to, camping, hiking, sports to include softball, flag football, soccer, ping-pong, foosball, board games, puzzles, music/art. In the distant future, we hope to include horse care and a low ropes course.
Rehabilitating youth requires more than incarceration and compliance with rules. Young offenders need to learn the skills that will encourage them to be responsible and accountable for their actions. Research indicates that for teens to be able to make positive decisions and take control of their lives, they must be taught basic social and life skills. Their rehabilitation can only be successful if others involved in the process provide effective intervention. SNTR’s approach is based on the restorative principles of accountability, responsibility, and competency.
- Individual and group counseling will be provided by contracted, certified counselors.
Leadership training will help each resident to take charge of various teams and programs. Staff will help show the student how to take the lead on each project and how to take the initiative and the responsibility for the project. Then they will be given the opportunity to pass this learning on to new students in the program.
- Self-governing programs will be implemented allowing the residents to take part in implementing the different rules of the Ranch.
- Anger management will teach the students how to control their emotions and channel their energy in positive directions.
- We are a faith-based, Christian organization and will provide an opportunity for students to develop their personal spiritual awareness. Participation in the spiritual development program is strictly voluntary.